Pages

Terbang

Thursday, April 04, 2013

28 tahun tidak menjejakkan kaki ke Sabah. Memori tinggal di Sabah dulu pun kabur, seolah mimpi bertabir sifon... rose tinted bits and pieces.
A flash of me standing by a pier, the wind blowing my hair awry. Me walking with mak and bapak in the Philippino Market, colourful sea shells hanging everywhere. The sound of a faraway windchime. The coldness of mak's office when she'd have to take me to work if she was on night duty. And an orangy cotton dress, lace socks and white mary janes.
Funny how some things stick with you, and some don't. For example, I can't really remember specific details of my trip to Japan back in '98 (unless I sit down and think real hard), but a whiff of certain type of perfume or miso and I'd be transported back to the small town of Kamigori, to the cozy Mizutani abode where I stayed throughout my cultural exchange programme. Oka-san preparing our bento, Chie-san telling me how excited she was that we were going to cycle all the way to school (10km+ of hills!), and One-san doing his weird Japanese dance upon  receiving the kain pelikat I brought him.
I wonder if Sabah will be familiar, or if it'll just be another foreign city.
p/s: I didn't bring my camera... mainly because I will be working thru the weekend, but also because there's nothing like truly living the experience without worrying about aperture and compositions.
See you in a few days!

No comments: