Pages

are you rejecting my ideas?

Tuesday, December 01, 2009



I'm sure most of you would probably have gone through idea rejection. I've had my share of idea kecundang, and will continue to have my supposedly-bordering-to-genius ideas go down the drain.


The first few times I got shot down in the boardroom (or rather meeting room), I was quite defensive about it. Back then I was the youngest and was supposed to bring the freshest ideas to the table - so when I got the No to stuff I suggested/ drafted, I was crushed. Having demanding kuku besi clients didn't help either. It took me quite some time to understand that rejections are okay, and that my clients weren't being vindictive or had any personal vendetta against me; they simply wanted the best for their products too. Most of the time, anyway.


(In advertising lingo, client means anyone whom you're serving/working for, and product would be whatever you're working on.)



Rejection is always painful, but they help, or rather, force you to see things differently. Sometimes we think that we have the best ideas, but there will always be another side of the coin that you've never noticed before, no matter how many times you've flipped it.


"Two heads are better than one" rings truth. Just make sure not too many strong-opinionated heads are being put in charge because as another famous saying mentioned "Too many cook spoils the broth." I've had this happen to me too, and rectifying this kind of mess is a bigger pain in the ass.



I've learned that the best way to handle a rejection is by:
1. Having an open mind
2. Listening to reasons of rejection (people usually rub this in)
3. Take a deep breath or count to ten, and
4. start thinking of options



Being in the advertising industry, I'd be facing massive amounts of idea rejection by clients, at least until I quit lah. So why wallow in misery? Rather than be the sourpuss of the team, why not be positive and find solutions to any mind barricades coming your way, right?


After all, the only thing to do when you've tersadung tergolek dog is to get up and start walking again :)



I'm sharing with you guys these wonderful drawings made by Scott Campbell, an artist from San Francisco. His depiction of how creative ideas are usually crushed in the working industry is point blank.

You can check out Scott Campbell and his wonderful artworks at his blog, Scott C.

Click picture to enlarge

4 comments:

mizzyN said...

so true
rejection is life

azyze gomez said...

asalkan jangan life is rejection sudah :)

school of thoughts said...

2 heads is better than 1. i agree. a lot. if you know what i mean. praise to aida the genius! gilo sekejap. maaf.

azyze gomez said...

aida:
i do know what you mean *wink*