Pages

I want me a manny

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

It's been a while since I read any chick lit, so I decided to indulge myself into one when I went to the spanking new boookstore in Amcorp Mall the other day.

(okay, it's not exactly new, but it is kinda spanky)

I was actually there to grab a few fillers (books I read whilst on the LRT to and fro office) and a birthday present for an acquaintance of mine when I saw this cute book on the promotional rack. It was practically screaming for attention, despite looking quit plain beside the other bright-coloured titles. I ignored the book, went around the store, selected a few fictions that fancied me, all the while trying to ignore the buzz of a hearing a tiny voice at the back of my head - the voice of my long forgotten girly-girly gedik me. It said "You know you want the chick lit. Yes, you do."

I know, I know... weirder alert. Which 20something female would not like chick lit? The thing is, chick lits usually don't excite me. It could be because I started off my foray into adult female-targeted books via Mills & Boons when I first entered secondary school. It practically killed my tastebuds for'sugar-coated notions of love' fluff.

There's also the fact that only one, yes, one chick lit that I have liked from the few (I think about 5-6 books) that I have read, and it was written by a nobody. The big rah-rah ones, they stank. A friend told me I was misguided, that there's a lot more to chick lit than Sopie Kinstilla, so she persuaded me to read The Devil Wears Prada. You can't go wrong with a book turned movie turned bestseller novel, she said. So I thought what the heck, how bad could it be?

Bad. Really Bad. I didn't even finish the book. I can't still taste the stale storyline as I'm typing this. So why would I want to buy something that would most probably disappoint me?

True to the Azyze Code of Solving Problems, I bought the book.


And enjoyed it immensely. I like how it started, the fact that the main character was not a typical kuli (like Andrea from TDWP) being tortured by a frightening boss, but a producer with a complicated life. I like the build up, the frustrating sad ending at the last chapter, and the last 4 words that totally 360ed the ending. It has all the essential chick lit without being to sickly sweet, and plants a social message that is pretty clear without forcing you to swallow it.

All in all, good book, fun read. I'm not sure if it makes a goos re-read (because of the light story), but it's worth a read.

6 comments:

Cik Puan Muda Stress said...

apa lagi?
sila bawa ke perjumpaan kita yang selanjutnya.

makacih.

roxychick said...

sophie kinsella la dey!

sah-sah la ko memang bkn chick-litians...(wah! ayat baru ke..?)

btw, tghari kang kita ajak kak wats gi amcorp nak?

My name starts with M said...

ko abiskan baca brp lama ni ely? aku jeles betul la org bole abiskan satu buku in a week time or 2 or less...

My name starts with M said...

eh chop. murahnye buku2 kat bookxs ni? dia ada kat PJ je ke?

Anonymous said...

nak jugak la beli... kat mana?

_peminatlama_

azyze gomez said...

Anon:
dekat BookXcess kat Amcorp tu la.

kalau you ni lah budak yang nama sama macam movie tamil tu, you tanya kakak you.
a little bird told me that she's getting cosy with a copy of the book too ;)