Pages

Try to rouse the day?

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

I used to crack my brain understanding John Lennon's Across The Universe. What is that phrase he keeps repeating in the song? He doesn't exactly mumble, but the words didn't come out clearly. Back then there was no internet, no reference in magazines, no lyrics book.

Hours of rewind and play didn't seem to help. All I got in the end were finger cramps and an exhausted tape. Which one was it?

Try to rouse the day aahhh?

Try to rule daylight?

Child carous-el ah?

Chakuruu diva?

Jack garoo divan?


The more I tried to make sense of the words, the more ridiculous they became. I finally concluded that he must've been high on grass or something and mumbled some weird phrase that didn’t mean a thing. You know how artistes love to do that, they claim it as their 'abstract artistic expressoins'.

So I must really really thank the internet for putting it straight.
It’s actually "Jai Guru Deva Ohm"

Ya, I went 'ahh...' too :)

The refrain "Jai Guru Deva Ohm" is a mantra intended to lull the mind into a higher consciousness. The words are in Sanskrit, and they mean "I give thanks to Guru Dev" who was the teacher of The Maharishi. The "Ohm" at the end is the drawn out "ooohm" used in meditation to relate to the natural vibration of the universe.

The Beatles were very much into Hinduism, so it’s no wonder that Hindu reference were incorporated in the song. The song was created by Lennon for a charity, and charity has always been related to religious in a way or another.

Funny to think that I’ve been thanking Master Dev all this time… The only Dev I know is Dev Anand from those old Hindi movies. Dashing chap with khaki jackets, neck scaves and barrettes. Heh.

Back to Across The Universe, I think it was one of the most deep, beautifully written songs by Lennon. It was so beautiful that it ispired the Gallagher brothers to start singing.

Check out the full lyrics:

Across The Universe

Words are flowing out like endless rain into a paper cup,
They slither while they pass, they slip away across the universe
Pools of sorrow, waves of joy are drifting through my open mind,
Possessing and caressing me.
Jai guru de va om
Nothing's gonna change my world,
Nothing's gonna change my world.

Images of broken light which dance before me like a million eyes,
That call me on and on across the universe,
Thoughts meander like a restless wind inside a letter box they
Tumble blindly as they make their way
Across the universe
Jai guru de va om
Nothing's gonna change my world,
Nothing's gonna change my world.

Sounds of laughter shades of life are ringing
Through my open views inciting and inviting me
Limitless undying love which shines around me like a
Million suns, it calls me on and on
Across the universe
Jai guru de va om
Nothing's gonna change my world,
Nothing's gonna change my world.

No comments: